Here is what I charged the 2011 Online Power Year Pledge Class with at the beginning of this month:
1. Write a SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time bound) goal for your creative project. *This activity requires time and thoughtfulness. You are building the framework of your Power Year.
2. Write down five or less rules (or if you like the word “guidelines” better, cool) you will live by, in order to help you achieve your goal.
3. Identify five or less items that will be your FEBRUARY FOCUS.
Here’s what Jennifer, one of the pledge members, came up with:
It is my objective to become unbounded by circumstance. During my adult life I have exhibited a tendency to be confident in my creativity, but have fewer examples to show than my capacity. I want to reverse this, and become open to the possibility of:
I sometimes find myself wrongly assuming that everyone knows what I am thinking. I assume that people know and / or believe in my strengths and talents. But that is a distant assumption if the audience never sees the fruit of my capabilities. Perhaps I should not even worry about what others think. And so there is a second prong to this intent. It is very satisfying to see a project come from the depths of the mind into reality. So, selfishly, I am excited to feel that satisfaction more frequently.
A focus on goal-oriented creativity is now the vehicle that will bring more of my ideas into reality. I will fail. This sounds negative, but there is tremendous learning in failure. I will succeed as well, with a resounding ovation, even if it is just the sound of one hand clapping!
2)Realize that even though my schedule will seem very full, that there is a lot of enjoyment to be had through a productive life
3)Work towards actual benefits. Often goals can be ‘completed’ but there is no net change. Make net change.
4)Make it about more than me. Family and friends can be part of the Power Year, and there will be benefit to limiting introversion of ideas / tasks in this year.
1) Complete my ARE Process (7 Architectural Exams)
Purpose: Obtain my architectural license
Timing Goal: By end of year
Measurement: Accomplish a test every 6 weeks
2) Truly engage in my community committees
USGBC Education Committee (outreach, planning)
Real Estate Diversity Initiative (learning, community)
Purpose: To gain benefit from my community work
Timing Goal: Ongoing
Measurement: Book speaking assignments for AR7 / NAC
among other things
1) Set up and enjoy Date Nights with my husband every 2 weeks
Purpose: Actively pursue strength for my relationship
Measurement: Rate success of various elements on a scale of 1-10 (was it fun, romantic?).
2) Host monthly social functions such as Family Dinner, and Dinner Party with friends
Purpose: Deepen my friendships
Measurement: Rate success of various elements on a scale of 1-10 (Did people have fun, did guests get along?)
Purpose: Exorcise stress, anxiety. Boost creativity, confidence, relaxation
Timing: At least once per week.
2) Continue to track energy input / output balance
Purpose: Improve health, energy and happiness
Measurement: Monitor weekly calorie intake, and exercise expenditure according to pre-set numerical datum
1) Music: Continue to actualize learning opportunities with my musical mentors, and learn more songs, better technique
Purpose: To live
Timing: practice 3 times per week, one lesson per week
Measurement: Make a recording of a new song every month
2) Writing: Begin to create poetry that conforms to a pentameter, that can become building blocks for writing songs.
Purpose: To become able to make the type of songs that I love.
Timing: As part of music practice, take ten minutes to write down poetry. Then on the bus ride home when I am not playing music, write for ten minutes.
Measurement: To be determined
3) Design: Do a Competition by end of year
February Focus Items:
1) Take (and pass) an ARE exam by 2/28
2) Write a (good) poem by 2/28
3) Finish learning “Houseboat” by 2/28
4) Attend Design and Construction Networking by 2/9
5) Run/exercise at least 4 times per week (every week) by 2/28
Needless to say, I’m very excited for the day that Jen’s update arrives in my inbox!